The AAO’s Louisa Burns Osteopathic Research Committee (LBORC) is seeking research applications involving health care outcomes in the practice of osteopathic medicine, with an emphasis on using osteopathic manipulative medicine or treatment (OMM/OMT) in patient care. Areas of particular interest include, but are not limited to:
- Mechanism of action of OMT
- Biomarker assessment in OMT treatment delivery
- OMT technique understanding or development
- Inter-examiner improvement of OMM/OMT record keeping
- Improvement of OMT-specific measures of physiologic influence, changes, lengths of changes and responses to treatment
- Statistical data gathering instruments such as surveys, SOAP notes, health status assessments, and instruments for bias reduction
The AAO will not fund research and development of machines or equipment engineering. Equipment development and engineering design research is explicitly excluded from this venue.
The due date for the letter of intent in the next review cycle is Dec. 1, 2017. Research proposals are due Jan. 15, 2018, and the AAO Board of Trustees will review selected proposals in March. Funds will be released May 1, 2018.
The next deadline for letters of intent is June 1, 2018, for funds released Nov. 1, 2018. Contact Debbie Cole, the LBORC’s staff liaison, with any questions at DCole@academyofosteopathy.org or at (317) 879-1881, ext. 215.